Wiersma Family Blog

WIERSMA FAMILY BLOG
A glimpse into our lives as a family with micro-preemies. Our twins boys (Lovingly referred to as our Miracle Men) were born almost 16 weeks early.

Our journey continues when our son Max was diagnosed with cancer at the age of 3. This is his story....


Thursday, March 26, 2009

Frustrated

Today has been a frustrating day for Kate and I. She had some regular contractions yesterday, and again today. The doctor (not Kate's favorite) came in and "checked" her again. Part of me knows why the doctors persist on checking her ALL THE TIME, but the other part of me, the rational part, wonders why they continue to do it when they know it causes her so much discomfort and typically spurs on a series of contractions...so then they have to check her again to make sure those contractions didn't change anything. It feels at times like they want her to go into labor again. If their intention is to prolong her pregnancy, it seems odd that they would "stir the hornets nest" every chance they get. The good news portion of this situation is that they still think she is dilated to 2 cm, maybe a little more, so basically no change there!! The doctor also said that he thinks Kate has a rupture. That is all. A rupture. A rupture of one of the placentas? A rupture of her appendix? Her Achilles tendon? Only he knows. But he felt it necessary to tell my pregnant wife who is fighting with all of her mental, spiritual and physical strength for the health and well being of her unborn children that she has a rupture, and just leave it at that. I cannot think of a circumstance where a "rupture" is a good thing. I don't think anyone has ever said, "you just ruptured season tickets to the Denver Broncos."

So all of these things have led to an "off" day. I will reserve the phrase "bad day" for when we are on the Labor and Delivery floor. We are just frustrated. It doesn't seem like the doctors have a real good plan on how to deal with these contractions, and that gives us some uneasy feelings at times. The same doctor that gave Kate a laundry list of unnecessary information this morning also mentioned to her a day or two ago that they are "throwing everything including the kitchen sink at her". Again, what doctor would say that? Maybe I am just too closely tied to Kate's emotional state to know that she doesn't want to hear that kind of stuff. But I also cannot imagine that anyone in a similar circumstance would want to be told that the doctors are not sure what to do either. Kate and I are hoping that God's plan is to let the doctors try all of these different treatments, and when they have all come to their wit's end, He will step in and stop the contractions. We pray that if this is the case, that it be evident to every doctor and nurse that we come into contact with (I would say that is about 50 per day) that any improvement in Kate's condition was not the result of drugs but the healing hand of our Heavenly Father. At the end of this journey, regardless of the outcome, we pray that God be given the glory. Not doctors, not the nurses, not various combinations of drugs, but that God's control over this situation be undeniable. We believe that He has and does use these people and medications to carry out His will, we just want His hand in this situation to be at the forefront.

At the end of the day, the contractions are not gone, but the boys are still in Kate's womb. That is a reason to give praise to our Abba Father. The day has not been uneventful, but our babies have had another day to live and grow in the conditions in which God designed them to.

5 comments:

  1. A lot of unpleasant circumstances have been thrown at you and Satan is using them to try to steal your joy. Thankfully, our joy does not depend on outward circumstances, but because of who we are in Christ Jesus and what He has done for us.

    Proverbs 3:5 says, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding."

    Your pregnancy, with its related trials, is being used by God. He may use it to touch someone who reads your blog, or to touch one (or more) of the doctors or nurses you come into contact with each day. You may never know who it touched, but God will.

    Paul wrote to the church at Phillipi (ch.1:12)
    "And I want you to know, my dear brothers and sisters, that everything that has happened to me here has helped to spread the Good News." If we can look at our trials this same way, those who come into contact with us will be amazed and will want to know this Jesus we profess.

    I am praying much for both of you, and for the boys. Kate, I am praying that you can get the rest you need. Mark, as you try to balance work and being at the hospital, I pray that you will be able to "let go and let God".

    In all things, to God be the glory and the honor, forever and ever, Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I,too, am following your blog and praying for you. I don't know either of you but found you through the Busscher's blog. We lost our first son in 1980, he was still born at 22 1/2 weeks. So I can relate a little to your experience. I pray too for compassion for those dealing with you in that they encourage you with their words and actions. I am wondering if the hospital has a social worker that would help the two of you.
    Our hope is in the LORD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Along with praying for health & healing for your boys, I've been praying for there to be NO other explanation for their well-being other than the intervention of the Almighty God. I'm sorry you're frustrated and I'm sorry Kate's situation seems so "perplexing," but remember that God is still on plan A. I love that analogy you gave. The siutation is not perplexing to God. We trust that He will work (and is working) a miracle in your sons' lives and that all will see HOW GREAT IS OUR GOD! Thank you for your testimony and faith in Him and sharing your journey with us. We'll pray that He gives you His peace and reasurrance as you wait on Him. "My heart and my flesh may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalm 73:26

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry to post on your blog when I dont even know you but since stumbling upon your blog I have been glued to it. The weird thing is I feel this sense of closeness to people I have never met. My husband and I went through this very similar situation with our triplets at the end of January this year. I was in the hospital for 4 weeks on complete bed rest, I was receiving "Mag", heprin shots, and yes was told that they "were throwing everything but the kitchen sink at me.." Very frustrating is putting it lightly. I dont think those doctors can come close to understanding the emotional and physicall roller coaster you are on when you are in that type of situation. Doing everything you possibly can to bring healthy children into this world.

    Our 3 beautiful babies were born at 22 weeks and lived for 3 hours before passing away. And these last 3 months have been incredibly trying because we miss our babies so much.

    I am sorry for rambling, I guess simply enough I can just say you will remain in my thoughts and every day and I will continue to pray for you and your baby boys.

    Michelle Hagley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate, Mark, and baby boys,

    When you're frustrated and can no longer pray, know that MANY are praying on your behalf!

    When you get a chance, listen to this song-www.ilike.com/artist/Tenth+Avenue+North/track/Hold+My+Heart-find comfort in knowing that He IS holding all four of you!

    Love you!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete